I’ve been an AKC Breeder of Merit since the program’s inception in 2010. Unlike other breeders, my girls have rich and full lives before they are bred bringing maturity and confidence to the whelping experience. Not only does this give the girls time to completely grow up (not babies having babies), but they pass their smarts on to their pups.
This is an unusual year: I have two litters planned instead of the usual, one. Last year, Kai was campaigning in conformation before winning Westminster this year. And Z was busy with co-0wner Colleen Nolan rocking the coursing, rally, dock diving and obedience worlds (including the first SWD Utility Dog title!). Now we have a break, and it’s time to bring forth the next generation.
Spanish Water Dog Litter: Spring / Summer 2018
- Eyes: SWD-EYE71/29M-VPI “Normal”
- prcd-PRA: OptiGen SWD-PRA99/7M-PI “Normal”
- Hips: OFA SWD-127E24M-VPI “Excellent”
- Thyroid: OFA SWD-TH69/24M-VPI “Normal”
- See Hudson’s OFA records here
- Eyes: OFA SWD-EYE36/39F-PI “Normal”
- prcd-PRA: OptiGen SWD-PRA105/41F-PI “Normal”
- Hips: OFA SWD-108G42F-VPI “Good”
- Thyroid: OFA SWD-TH60/42F-VPI “Normal”
- See Z’s family health information here
Each of my litters has specific goals in mind. Most are conformational, balancing the builds of the sire and dam to move every towards the typiest SWD possible. For this litter, I am also trying to blend Z’s strong working drive and trainability with Hudson’s sweet, biddable temperament. Puppies in my home are always raised in the living room, in the middle of the action. I expect the pups in this litter to be solid black and solid brown, but there could be some surprises!
Spanish Water Dog Litter: Autumn / Winter 2018
Sire: To Be Announced!
- Eyes: OFA SWD-EYE35/22F-PI “Normal”
- prcd-PRA: OptiGen SWD-PRA104/23F-PI-CAR “Carrier”
- Hips: OFA SWD-107G24F-VPI “Good”
- Thyroid: OFA SWD-TH59/24F-VPI “Normal”
- See Kai’s family health history here
This may well be the premier litter for 2018/19, blending our wonderful Kai with a top international star of similar type and temperament. Pups in this litter will probably all be solid brown. Kai is lovingly co-owned by Lisa Harper of Connecticut and Colleen Nolan of West Virginia. Lisa (that’s me!) does the showing and breeding. Colleen puts all those wonderful and diverse titles on the the girls!
To inquire about puppies, please send an email of introduction to me!
My standard intro questions are:
- How did you decide on a Spanish Water Dog? Have you managed to meet one yet?
- What sort of activities are you and your family into?
- What is your dog experience?